Asynchronous interruption of a compute-intensive guest

Hi,

I'd like to "intercept" from the host the exact times at which an incoming network packet directed to a guest VM:
a) is delivered from the host OS to the KVM process;
b) is delivered to the "CPU thread" of the KVM process.

Specifically, I don't have a clean idea of how b) happens when the CPU thread is doing compute-intensive activities within the VM. How is the flow of control of such thread asynchronously interrupted so as to hand over control to the proper network driver in kvm ? Any pointer to the exact points to look at, in the KVM code, are also very well appreciated.

Just in case you're interested, we need this for playing with some custom CPU scheduling policy we have at our lab, for the purpose of facing with the problem of responsiveness of VMs while doing CPU-intensive activities (i.e., a mixed batch/interactive guest).

Thanks very much for your kind help.

Regards,

    T.

--
Tommaso Cucinotta, Computer Engineering PhD, Researcher
ReTiS Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa, Italy