Configuring the bridge interface: why assign an IP?

Most of the examples for setting up the bridge interface on a VM host
suggest assigning the IP address to the bridge.  Assigning the IP to
the bridge leaves you open to the MAC address of the bridge changing
as you add/remove guests from the host, resulting in a brief (~20
second) loss of connectivity to the host. (I am aware that I can
manually set the MAC of the bridge to avoid unexpected changes. That's
my current workaround.)

Is there a reason why the most common examples all show the IP
assigned to the bridge?  Does that approach provide some functionality
that would be lost otherwise?

I can think of at least two other approaches to configuring the networking:

1) Assign the host's IP to eth0.  Since eth0 is a member of the br0,
it should work just fine.

2) Assign the host's IP to a different NIC entirely.  Say, eth1.
Leave eth0 as a member of br0, but don't assign an IP to the bridge.

Thanks!

-Ben