Re: USB EHCI patch for 0.14.0?

On 03/09/11 08:40, erik.rull@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> looks really impressive.
> It works and the performance is really good!
>
> But some things are not working and cause my Windows guest to stop booting
> or getting slowed down:
> -device usb-tablet
> -device usb-mouse
> do not really work. (I have connected a PS/2 mouse to have no interference
> with the rest of the USB system that works fine without the patch)
> If I add them to the command line, windows does not boot up (it hangs
> before the GUI comes up with ~ 12% CPU time on the host side)
> If I add them at runtime via the qemu console it has no influence to the
> guest - I still see no possibility grabbing the mouse to the client

Did those work with the previous qemu-kvm releases you tested?

> -device usb-host
> (for adding all USB devices automatically to the client) works only partly.
> The client is slowed down when having activated this function but e.g. the
> USB key gets detected - but not completely, Windows seem to hang somewhere
> after having got the hardware and before displaying the key in the Explorer
> (works without the patch)

Similarly, how does this compare to prior qemu-kvm releases?

> If one of the above options are enabled I get sometimes a "USB Stall"
> displayed in the qemu-console.
> Additonally these lines appear:
> ehci: PERIODIC list base register set while periodic schedule
> and
> ehci: ASYNC list address register set while async schedule

According to the EHCI spec an OS is not allowed to do that when the
schedule and controller are enabled. It's more informational than
anything that OS is not compliant.

> If I can help you or give you more feedback or even try out new patches,
> just let me know.
> I'm really interested in solving the "missing features".

Someone needs to dig into the EHCI spec and the code. I lost momentum on
it last summer for various reasons.

David