Hanging System - Any OS

Recently someone performed a dist-upgrade on my debian 5 VM, to
upgrade it to 6 (stable).

After rebooting, the system hangs at loading Grub2 indefinitely.
I assumed this was a boot loader problem, so I booted into the debian
6 CD and attempted to boot into rescue mode, this also managed to
hang.
Next I tried a completely different linux distro, the live CD stops
during init with no error.
I tried to boot directly into the OS on the HDD, bypassing grub2, and
again, it stops during init with no error.
None of these attempts stop at the same point and none produce errors
of any kind.

Smartctl shows that the physical disks pass health checks.
Also the other VMs on this machine are running fine.

What shall I do?