Re: Degraded performance with Windows 2008 R2 with applications

On 03/07/2011 12:25 AM, Mathias Klette wrote:
Hi list,

I'm not sure if this is the right list, but I have to ask for help on
some performance issues with KVM and Windows 2008 R2.

Windows guest is working properly on a clean install. But once some
applications get installed - especially MSSQL, but others as well -
system becomes pretty unresponsive. In turns, a login to the system can
take several minutes, context menus are opened badly slow and the clock
is not updated correctly which leads to differences of whole hours after
only some few hours uptime. Verifying with performance monitor in
Windows I could only see load on disk IO, not on CPU, memory. From
kvm/qemu point of view: A raw-image stored on a ext4 formatted LVM
volume is used and started with following configurations via libvirt -
see attached.

On the host system runs Debian Squeeze with a custom 2.6.38-rc2-amd64
kernel. Packages kvm, qemu-kvm and qemu-utils have been re-packaged from
source with only slight changes from original Debian source. Versions
following

top/vmstat/kvm_stat on the host, please.