Re: Problem with bridged tap interface

Hi Daniel, all,

"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 23.02.2011 14:37:16:

> There have been QEMU NIC model implementation bugs that exhibit
> that characteristic. If you have the drivers available in the
> guest, then I'd recommend trying out different NIC models than
> ne2k, since that's probably the least actively maintained NIC
> model. At least try rtl8139, but ideally the e1000 too.

thanks a lot for the information.  If I remember correctly, I switched
from the default rtl8139 to ne2k exactly beccause I had similar issues
with the former model, but that was quite some time ago with a previous
version of kvm/qemu.  e1000 is unfortunately not supported by the stock
RedHat kernel my guest uses, if rtl8139 doesn't work flawlessly, I will
try to compile an e1000 driver.

What I'm still concerned about is my general setup esp. the mix between a
real Gigabit link on the host and a simulated 10MBit or FastEthernet 'NIC'
in the guest connected via a kernel bridge in the host.  Are there any
configuration parameters that I could try to use influencing flow control
or something in the bridge; I guess something like auto-negotiation
doesn't work for a simulated NIC and a kernel bridge.  But maybe this
configuration is not a problem at all in a simulated environment, I don't
know enough about the inner workings.  Maybe someone more knowledgable
than me can help me out with more information? (Obviously grading down my
Gigabit link to FastEthernet would only be a last resort.)

TIA,

aa

--

Please consider the environment before you print / Merci de penser à
l'environnement avant d'imprimer / Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt bevor

Bombardier Transportation GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats / Chairman of Supervisory Board: Prof. Dr.
Wilhelm Bender
Geschäftsführung / Executive Board: Dr. Klaus Baur
(Vorsitzender/Chairman), Luc Charlemagne, Stefan Schönholz, Gregorius
Peters
Sitz der Gesellschaft / Principal Office: Berlin
Registergericht / Registration Court: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB
64838

This e-mail communication (and any attachment/s) may contain confidential
or privileged information and is intended only for the individual(s) or
entity named above and to others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read,
copy, use or disclose the contents of this communication to others. Please
notify the sender that you have received this e-mail in error by reply
e-mail, and delete the e-mail subsequently. Please note that in order to
protect the security of our information systems an AntiSPAM solution is in
use and will browse through incoming emails.
Thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ce message (ainsi que le(s) fichier(s)), transmis par courriel, peut
contenir des renseignements confidentiels ou protégés et est destiné à
l?usage exclusif du destinataire ci-dessus. Toute autre personne est, par
les présentes, avisée qu?il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, le
distribuer ou le reproduire. Si vous l?avez reçu par inadvertance,
veuillez nous en aviser et détruire ce message. Veuillez prendre note
qu'une solution antipollupostage (AntiSPAM) est utilisée afin d'assurer la
sécurité de nos systèmes d'information et qu'elle furètera les courriels
entrants.
Merci.