Re: Q: status of kvm/ subdir in qemu-kvm tarball?

On 2011-02-23 12:04, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> What's the current status of files in kvm/ subdirectory
> in the qemu-kvm distribution (0.14 or git) ?
>
> As far as I can see, all that is old and unused stuff,
> which only confuses users.  It is not used during build
> the Makefiles are obsolete and refers to non-existed
> files/directories, some remaining bits (like vgabios)
> are too old to be useful for current qemu-kvm, etc.
>
> Maybe it's better to just drop the whole thing to stop
> confusion?
>
> If it may be needed in the future, it can be taken from
> older source tarballs.  Just letting that stuff to bitrot
> isn't a nice thing to do. ;)
>
> I mentioned this yesterday to Avi (my question was
> especially about vgabios), and he told me to send a
> patch with justification.  But it's way too simpler
> to just do `git rm -r kvm' than apply a patch to
> remove the whole thing.

I think there are a few bits still in use:

- kvm/kvm_stat
- kvm/include (latest kernel headers) *)

Otherwise, removing this cruft would be good.

Jan

*) This should really be discussed upstream again: Carry private copy of
kvm headers or rely on distro / kvm-kmod to provide required defines,
types etc.? I'm more and more in favor of option 1.