performance monitoring of guest

My question is regarding performance counters for guest. I run my KVM on
an i3 Intel Processor.

My objective is to get the number of instructions in between every
interrupt delivered to the guest OS after which I log into a file. I use
the PERFEVTSEL0 for enabling instruction retired perf counter. I enable
the counter before VMlaunch/Vmresume instruction and on the return I
disable the counter. This approach is not good as I may be counting
instructions in host interrupts and other processes  also.

I tried to use these performance counters inside the guest and the guest
gets a GPF and kvm says it as an "unhandled wrmsr".

What is the right approach to solve the problem? I would prefer to have
the guest unmodified to get the counters.
Does Intel i3 provide "guest mode only" performance counters?

Thanks,
Mehul