Re: network performance between host and guest...

Brian Jackson wrote:
On 12/17/2010 4:29 PM, Erik Brakkee wrote:
Hi,

For a backup of data from a VM to a USB mounted disk I want to circumvent the USB 1.1 limitations on the guest and instead copy the data over to the host using scp/ssh. I have setup a network using virtio and NAT like this:

<interface type='network'>
<mac address='52:54:00:6b:0d:36'/>
<source network='default'/>
<target dev='vnet1'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
<alias name='net1'/>
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x06' function='0x0'/>
</interface>

What does that equate to in command line options? Check libvirt logs maybe. What version of qemu-kvm? Guest details? Host details?

When I now create a 1GB file using dd and copy it over from the guest to the host, I am seeing a performance between 25-30 MB/s.

Is it to and from the same disk? If so, maybe you could try a tmpfs in the guest or host so you aren't constantly seeking back and forth on the same disk.

Also have you tried something like rsyncd instead of scp? Maybe you are hitting some sort of encryption limitation.

My question is if this is normal because I have seen others on the internet achieve far greater speeds.

Depends on a lot of factors. Certainly raw bandwidth wise, virtio-net is capable of a lot more than that. With vhost-net here, I can get over 5gbps guest to host. And that's on crappy old first gen cpus (no ept/etc.).

In any case the speeds are comparable to current USB 2.0 speeds but I intend on using USB 3.0 so would like to get a little bit more out of it.

What would I use to speed this up a bit futher?

Cheers
  Erik

You are right. I was indeed not so smart of me. I was assuming that the overhead of SSH would be negligible. However, I am seeing similar transfer speeds when I copy a file on the localhost to the localhost using SSH (on the host, not even on a guest). Netperf tests of the network show much higher speeds (approx 900Mbps) so the network is not the problem. The bottleneck is definitely SSH.