Re: kvm hangs on mkfs

On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 01:09:25 pm Hanno Böck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried a relatively simple task with qemu-kvm. I have two qcow hd images
> and try to create filesystems on them using a gentoo installation disk.

qcow2 (I hope you are using that vs just qcow) is known to be a tad on the
slow side on metadata heavy operations (i.e. mkfs, installing lots of files,
etc.). One trick some of us use is to use the -drive syntax (vs -hda) and set
the cache option to unsafe or writeback for the install process. The other
alternative is to use preallocated raw images (i.e. made with dd vs qemu-img).
I've been informed that in 0.12.5 the writeback trick won't do any good due to
some extra fsync()s. So your best bet is to upgrade to 0.13 and use
cache=unsafe.

> Starting qemu with:
> qemu -m 512 -cdrom install-x86-minimal-20101116.iso -hda hda.img -hdb
> hdb.img
>

> However, mkfs always hangs indefinitely. Doesn't really matter if ext2/3/4,
> it always hangs at
> "Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information:"

Have you tried strace'ing to see if it's actually doing something (just very
slowly)?