[ kvm-Bugs-2796640 ] KVM Regression from 2.6.28-11 to 2.6.30-rc5

Bugs item #2796640, was opened at 2009-05-26 03:00
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jessorensen
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=2796640&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Changing from the Ubuntu 09.04 stock kernel 2.6.28-11 to the current 'alpha' kernel in the Ubuntu development repository for 'Karmic' 2.6.30-rc5, some (but not all) of my KVM guests stop booting.

I have the following guest OSs installed as KVM virtual machines: Ubuntu 09.04, FreeBSD 7.1, Minix 3, OpenSolaris 08.11, Windows XP and Windows 7RC

Under 2.6.28-11 these all boot and run OK.  With kernel 2.6.30-rc5, Ubuntu, FreeBSD and Minix boot and run OK, but OpenSolaris 08.11, Windows XP and Windows 7RC fail to boot.  They appear to freeze very early in the boot process, after the boot loader is done and the OS kernel itself starts loading.  There are no strange messages in the host system logs that I am aware of.  When the guest OS freezes, it pins one of my CPUs at 100% utilization (I have KVM set to only give one CPU to the guest).

This looks like a regression under 2.6.30-rc5.  It is possible that it is caused by a Ubuntu patch, and I have filed a bug in Launchpad, but I suspect that this is an upstream problem, and so I am reporting it here also.

Please let me know what I can do to assist in debugging this.

Date: 2010-11-29 08:55

Message:
Hi Bob,

Given that you have a launchpad bug open too, and that it smells like an
Ubuntu specific bug, plus we cannot reproduce it, I will close this as out
of date. If we hit it again, lets track it over at bugs.launchpad.net/qemu

Thanks for getting back on this!

Jes

Comment By: Bob Manners (bobmanners)
Date: 2010-11-26 15:21

Message:
I only experienced this problem on Intel Core Duo.  On another system which
has the more common Intel Core 2 Duo CPU I don't see this issue.
Unfortunately my old (2006) laptop which was the Core Duo machine finally
died last week so I am unable to confirm whether this KVM bug is still
present in the 2.6.35 kernel (Ubuntu Maverick).

Comment By: Jes Sorensen (jessorensen)
Date: 2010-11-26 11:36

Message:
Hi,

Has this issue been resolved for you?

Thanks,
Jes

Comment By: Kenni (kelu6)
Date: 2009-05-28 10:26

Message:
Your CPU still has the NX flag, which apparently also was my issue:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/31206/focus=31774

Comment By: Bob Manners (bobmanners)
Date: 2009-05-28 02:22

Message:
guest.  My CPU is Intel Core Duo (not Core2 Duo) which is a 32 bit CPU:

bob@gecko2:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 14
model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc
arch_perfmon bts pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr pdcm

bogomips        : 3658.94

clflush size    : 64

power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 14
model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 2048 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx constant_tsc
arch_perfmon bts pni monitor vmx est tm2 xtpr pdcm
bogomips        : 3658.93
clflush size    : 64
power management:

Comment By: Kenni (kelu6)
Date: 2009-05-27 23:00

Message:
Do you run with a 32bit host on a 64bit CPU? It sounds like it could be the
same issue I had when changing from kernel 2.6.28.x to 2.6.29:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/31206/focus=31206

If it's the same issue, then adding the argument '-cpu qemu32' or  '-cpu
qemu64,-nx' to the qemu-command, should fix the issue. Also, Avi Kivity
created some patches which fixes the issue in KVM-86.