Can't run qemu-kvm with recent kernels in PAE mode

Hi KVM Gurus. I need some help with this problem that has existed for the past several kernel update releases. It used to work fine, probably back around kernel 2.6.33, but now I can't run any of my usual VM's in KVM with a PAE-enabled kernel.

WITH PAE enabled, and WITHOUT KVM enabled (by adding the -no-kvm option), VM's boot up fine and run, however very slowly as expected.

Or, WITHOUT PAE enabled, VM's boot up and run with or without KVM enabled.

The symptom has changed since my last kernel update, 2.6.36. AFTER 2.6.33 but BEFORE 2.6.36, it looked like right after POST the screen would just stay black with a blinking text cursor at top-left, with CPU at 100%.

Now, with 2.6.36, on Windows XP SP2 32-bit I can see it say "Booting from Hard Disk..." then immediately it reboots. On the QEMU Linux Test image (linux-0.2.img), right after "Uncompressing Linux..." immediately it reboots.

My system is Arch Linux with all latest updates as of this writing. I compiled my PAE kernel myself, which is from a trustworthy Arch repository, based on the vanilla non-PAE kernel that Arch provides, with only the CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G compile option turned on.

I know just running a 64-bit system would be nice, but this particular system has 32-bit images that it needs to run.

Hopefully my hardware isn't too weird. It's fairly new anyway. Here's info:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 16
model        : 6
model name    : AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500
stepping    : 2
cpu MHz        : 2194.355
cache size    : 512 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 0
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 0
initial apicid    : 0
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 5
wp        : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips    : 4390.57
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

processor    : 1
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 16
model        : 6
model name    : AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500
stepping    : 2
cpu MHz        : 2194.355
cache size    : 512 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 2
core id        : 1
cpu cores    : 2
apicid        : 1
initial apicid    : 1
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 5
wp        : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips    : 4390.69
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

$ pacman -Qi qemu-kvm
Name           : qemu-kvm
Version        : 0.13.0-1
URL            : http://www.linux-kvm.org
Licenses       : GPL2  LGPL2.1
Groups         : None
Provides       : qemu
Depends On : libjpeg libpng libsasl curl sdl alsa-lib esound gnutls>=2.4.1 bluez vde2 util-linux-ng
Optional Deps  : None
Required By    : qemu-launcher
Conflicts With : qemu
Replaces       : kvm
Installed Size : 6484.00 K
Packager       : Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Architecture   : i686
Build Date     : Sun 31 Oct 2010 03:36:52 AM CDT
Install Date   : Sun 28 Nov 2010 02:39:39 AM CST
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Description : Latest KVM QEMU is a generic and open source processor emulator which achieves a good emulation speed by using dynamic translation.

$ uname -a
Linux danbook.danamis.com 2.6.36-pae #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Nov 28 01:08:27 CST 2010 i686 AMD Turion(tm) II Dual-Core Mobile M500 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

$ pacman -Qi kernel26-pae
Name           : kernel26-pae
Version        : 2.6.36.1-3
URL            : http://www.kernel.org
Licenses       : GPL2
Groups         : base
Provides       : None
Depends On : coreutils linux-firmware module-init-tools mkinitcpio>=0.5.20
Optional Deps  : crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your country
Required By    : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : kernel24 kernel24-scsi kernel26-scsi alsa-driver ieee80211 hostap-driver26 pwc nforce squashfs unionfs ivtv zd1211 kvm-modules iwlwifi
                 rt2x00-cvs  gspcav1  atl2  wlan-ng26  rt2500  nouveau-drm
Installed Size : 89760.00 K
Packager       : Dan Higgins <dan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Architecture   : i686
Build Date     : Sun 28 Nov 2010 01:16:14 AM CST
Install Date   : Sun 28 Nov 2010 01:21:04 AM CST
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Description    : The Linux Kernel and modules with PAE support (HIGHMEM64G)

Command line that does NOT work:
qemu -m 1G -hda '/home/dan/tmp/linux-0.2.img'

As I mentioned before, adding "-no-kvm" to the above will work.

Let me know what is the best next step on this. Thanks very much in advance for any guidance.

Regards,
Dan