[RFC] GPGPU Support In KVM

Hello All,

I am Prasad Joshi, studying in a UK University. As a part of project in the University, I have decided to add GPGPU support in the KVM using virtio. There are two parts of supporting GPU in VM

1. GPU as a Graphics Device
2. GPU as a Parallel Programming Device (GPGPU)

For this project I would be interested in the second application of GPU.

Supporting GPGPU in VM has significant advantages in the HPC and Cloud Computing. None of the virtualization mechanism has support for GPGPU in the Virtual Machine.

There are few alternatives like vCUDA (only supported Xen) and gVirtuS. But both of them relay on intercepting the CUDA API calls and forwarding them to a machine that has GPU card attached to it. None of them actually make GPGPU device available to VM, they use a RPC (call forwarding) mechanism to run the GPU programs.

The aim of my project is to make GPGPU device available to the VM as a parallel programming device same as it is available in Host Machine. I intend to use the virtio mechanism for communication between Guest and Host machine. If you think there are better alternative that virtio please guide.

If I could successfully complete the project, what are the chances that the code would be included in the KVM repository?

I have been following the KVM mailing list last few months and have learned that the KVM does not have the GPU pass-through support. As far as I can understand, adding GPU pass-through would make GPU device available to VM as a Graphics Card, let me know if I am wrong. After the completion GPGPU support in VM I would love to work on this support as well.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks and Regards,
Prasad Joshi (Student ID: 19015523)
MRes Systems Engineering