Re: Mask bit support's API

On 11/23/2010 03:57 PM, Yang, Sheng wrote:
>  >
>  >  Yeah, but won't be included in this patchset.
>
>  What API changes are needed?  I'd like to see the complete API.

I am not sure about it. But I suppose the structure should be the same? In fact
it's pretty hard for me to image what's needed for virtio in the future,
especially there is no such code now. I really prefer to deal with assigned device
and virtio separately, which would make the work much easier. But seems you won't
agree on that.

First, I don't really see why the two cases are different (but I don't do a lot in this space). Surely between you and Michael, you have all the information?

Second, my worry is a huge number of ABI variants that come from incrementally adding features. I want to implement bigger chunks of functionality. So I'd like to see all potential users addressed, at least from the ABI point of view if not the implementation.

>  The API needs to be compatible with the pending bit, even if we don't
>  implement it now.  I want to reduce the rate of API changes.

This can be implemented by this API, just adding a flag for it. And I would still
take this into consideration in the next API purposal.

Shouldn't kvm also service reads from the pending bitmask?

>  So instead of
>
>  - guest reads/writes msix
>  - kvm filters mmio, implements some, passes others to userspace
>
>  we have
>
>  - guest reads/writes msix
>  - kvm implements all
>  - some writes generate an additional notification to userspace

I suppose we don't need to generate notification to userspace? Because every
read/write is handled by kernel, and userspace just need interface to kernel to
get/set the entry - and well, does userspace need to do it when kernel can handle
all of them? Maybe not...

We could have the kernel handle addr/data writes by setting up an internal interrupt routing. A disadvantage is that more work is needed if we emulator interrupt remapping in qemu.