Question on virtio frontend & backend drivers

Hello,

I was under the impression that the each virtio driver will have a frontend and backend part. The frontend part would be loaded in the Guest OS and the backend driver will be loaded in the Host OS. These two drivers will communicate with each other. The backend driver will then retransmit the actual request to correct driver.

But seems like my understanding is wrong.
I attached a virtio disk to the Guest OS. When the Guest was booted, after creating a file system on the attached disk I mounted it.

[prasad@Prasad-Fedora12-VM ~]$ lsmod | grep -i virtio
virtio_blk              7352  1
virtio_pci              8680  0
virtio_ring             6080  1 virtio_pci
virtio                  5220  2 virtio_blk,virtio_pci

But on the host machine no backend driver was loaded

root@prasad-desktop:~/VMDisks# lsmod | grep -i virtio
root@prasad-desktop:~/VMDisks#

Does this mean there is no explicit backend driver?

If I attach a raw disk as a virtio disk. The backend driver will be none other than the driver of the disk itself.
Am I correct?

Suppose I write a simple character device driver for Host OS. Now I want to make it available in the Guest OS.
Would only writing the frontend driver suffice?

Thanks and Regards,
Prasad Joshi (Student ID: 19015523)
MRes Systems Engineering--