OOM kernel panic on bootup in debian/ubuntu guests

Hi,

	I'm not sure if this is the correct venue for this question; feel
	free to redirect.

	When I start debian or ubuntu guests on a debian host running KVM
	0.12.5, my guests kernel-panic immediately after bootup -- the OOM
	killer kills every process on the system and then dies itself.

	This problem only occurs if I enable the virtio-balloon driver --
	without it, the guests run just fine. Also, this does not happen on
	CentOS guests, which also run fine and which balloon up/down
	happily.

	The problem occurs just after the system gives me a getty -- if I
	have the guest consoled, I'll see a login prompt but never get a
	chance to use it.

	I've tried compiling a vanilla kernel on an ubuntu guest, but the
	problem persisted. I'm not sure where to go from here, so any tips
	on debugging the problem are appreciated.

--Igor