Re: 2.6.35-rc1 regression with pvclock and smp guests

09.10.2010 06:27, Zachary Amsden wrote:
[]
> There's a lot of work I've done and also a lot of work done by Glauber
> Costa on kvmclock that recently went upstream.

I've seen your series that went into 2.6.36-to-be.
And tried to apply to a stable kernel series (2.6.32)
near the beginning of this thread.  But it fails right
at the second patch -- ec01d2eb0a74a6d95823fb6e320298473faf12be
"KVM: x86: Convert TSC writes to TSC offset writes",
in arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c, and later other patches at other
places.  In theory it should be possible for me to get
them applied, mechanically, by trying to guess what's
going on and modifying stuff accordingly.

> It's unlikely that you'll be bug free without all of those patches
> applied; most of the patches were not just enhancements, but contained
> bugfixes as well as improved operation conditions.  On top of this, the
> patches are highly interdependent because of close code proximity.  I
> suggest applying the following commits to your branch (newest listed
> first; apply in reverse order):

Yes, these commits, that's a large series of patches,
with lots of work done to produce them.

> Since the issue appears resolved, I'm going to continue working upstream.

The result is that no released linux kernel boots
in smp in kvm, which is a linux virtual machine.
That's irony, isn't it?

I wonder how distributions (which are almost all based
on 2.6.32 nowadays) will deal with the issue.. ;)

Thanks!

/mjt