Re: Support for nested vmx

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010, Vandeir Eduardo wrote about "Support for nested vmx":
> Is there some place where I could get patches/instructions
> to test nested kvm vm on Intel-vt processors?

Hi,

The latest patches that I submitted on this mailing list around two months
ago apply to the then-current trunk of KVM, but do not apply cleanly to today's
trunk. So I started today the effort to rebase them to the current trunk.

Unfortunately (but not too unexpectedly) the rebase did not go smoothly,
and the resulting code doesn't work (L2 hangs). But I'll debug it, and expect
that I'll be able to release a new version of the patches within a few days.

Please note that while nested VMX should work with these patches, it still
has a few limitations. Currently it was only tested with KVM as a nested
(L1) hypervisor - we got VMWare Server working, but the necessary patches are
not yet included in this patch set. Also, only Linux is sure to work as L2
nested guest - Windows *did* work at some point, but it didn't seem to work
in this patch set last time I tried - and some debugging work is still needed
to figure out why.

Nadav.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |     Tuesday, Sep 28 2010, 21 Tishri 5771