Re: .img on nfs, relative on ram, consuming mass ram

Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
2010/9/16 Andre Przywara <andre.przywara@xxxxxxx>:
TOURNIER Frédéric wrote:
Ok, thanks for taking time.
I'll dig into your answers.

So as i run relative.img on diskless systems with original.img on nfs,
what are the best practice/tips i can use ?
I thinks it is "-snapshot" you are looking for.
This will put the backing store into "normal" RAM, and you can later commit
it to the original image if needed. See the qemu manpage for more details.
In a nutshell you just specify the original image and add -snapshot to the
command line.

-snapshot creates a temporary qcow2 image in /tmp whose backing file
is your original image.  I'm not sure what you mean by "This will put
the backing store into "normal" RAM"?
Stefan, you are right. I never looked into the code and because the file in /tmp is deleted just after creation there wasn't a sign of it. For some reason I thought that the buffer would just be allocated in memory. Sorry, my mistake and thanks for pointing this out.

So Fred, unfortunately this does not solve your problem. I guess you run into a general problem. If the guest actually changes so much of the disk that this cannot be backed by RAM in the host, you have lost. One solution could be to just make (at least parts of) the disk read-only (a write protected /usr partition works quite well). If you are sure that writes are not that frequent, you could think of putting the overlay file also on the remote storage (NFS). Although this is rather slow, it shouldn't matter if there aren't many writes and the local page cache should catch most of the accesses (while still being nice to other RAM users).

Regards,
Andre.

Stefan

Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany
Tel: +49 351 448-3567-12