Re: Exceed 1GB/s with virtio-net ?

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:32 AM, Thibault VINCENT
<thibault.vincent@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to achieve higher than gigabit transferts over a virtio NIC
> with no success, and I can't find a recent bug or discussion about such
> an issue.
>
> The simpler test consist of two VM running on a high-end blade server
> with 4 cores and 4GB RAM each, and a virtio NIC dedicated to the
> inter-VM communication. On the host, the two vnet interfaces are
> enslaved into a bridge. I use a combination of 2.6.35 on the host and
> 2.6.32 in the VMs.
> Running iperf or netperf on these VMs, with TCP or UDP, result in
> ~900Mbits/s transferts. This is what could be expected of a 1G
> interface, and indeed the e1000 emulation performs similar.
>
> Changing the txqueuelen, MTU, and offloading settings on every interface
> (bridge/tap/virtio_net) didn't improve the speed, nor did the
> installation of irqbalance and the increase in CPU and RAM.
>
> Is this normal ? Is the multiple queue patch intended to address this ?
> It's quite possible I missed something :)

I'm able to achieve quite a bit more than 1Gbps using virtio-net
between 2 guests on the same host connected via an internal bridge.
With the virtio-net TX bottom half handler I can easily hit 7Gbps TCP
and 10+Gbps UDP using netperf (TCP_STREAM/UDP_STREAM tests).  Even
without the bottom half patches (not yet in qemu-kvm.git), I can get
~5Gbps.  Maybe you could describe your setup further, host details,
bridge setup, guests, specific tests, etc...  Thanks,

Alex