Re: [RFC v2 4/7] change kernel accounting to include steal time

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 19:03 -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > I think it basically comes down to adding "sched_clock_unstolen()" which
> > the scheduler can use to measure time a process spends running, and
> > sched_clock() for measuring sleep times.  In the normal case,
> > sched_clock_unstolen() would be the same as sched_clock().
>
> That requires the host to export (any time the guest is scheduled
> in), the amount of CPU time the VCPU thread has used, and the time
> the VCPU was scheduled in.
>
> Since the VCPU must be running when it is examining these variables,
> it can calculate the additional time (since it was last scheduled)
> to account to the task, and remember the currently calculated time
> in its own per-vcpu variable, so next time it can get a delta again.

I think its easier (and sufficient) for the host to tell the guest how
long it was _not_ running. That can simply be passed in when you start
the vcpu again and doesn't need a fancy communication channel.

The guests sched_clock() will measure wall time, the guests
sched_clock_stolen() will report the accumulation of these stolen times.

Then you can make sched_clock_unstolen() be sched_clock() -
sched_clock_stolen(). And like Jeremy said, if you make the sched_fair
stuff use sched_clock_unstolen() things should more or less work.

The problem with all that is that you'll start to schedule on unstolen
time instead of wall-time, which might not give the best results for
things like latencies etc.. but I guess that's one of the prices you pay
for using virt.

Also, like said yesterday, you need some factor in update_cpu_power(), a
quick hack might be to add all stolen time to sched_rt_avg_update().