Re: windows 2008 installation doesn't recognize cdrom

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:15:54PM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> On 08/28/10 17:44, Martin Kraus wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I'm trying to install windows 2008 on kvm running on debian squeeze with qemu-kvm
> > 0.12 but the installer complains about not being able to find any drivers for
> > the cdrom. Is there some way to feed it a cdrom driver? I've never had any
> > problems with previous windows installations.
>
> You need to be a little more explicit about what you are trying to do here.
>
> Are you trying to point the CDROM drive to KVM and have it controlled by
> Windows, or are you trying to point it to an ISO image?
>
> You ought to be able to just say -cdrom /dev/sr<X> if you want KVM to
> see the CDROM drive, or -cdrom /path/to/iso/image if you want it to read
> the ISO.

By the installer I've meant the windows installer which complains that it can't
find a driver for cdrom (emulated by kvm patched qemu). I can boot from the cd
image by using -drive file=.....media=cdrom or -cdrom ... and the
installation starts but it stops at the second installation window asking to
browse manualy for an appropriate driver.

I've been just wondering if anyone came across this problem or if I should
blame it on Windows.

thanks
mk