Re: Debian 5.0 host, qemu-kvm 0.12.4, unable to use -smp > 1

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Gleb Natapov <gleb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 07:29:22AM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
>> We just upgraded our KVM host system from KVM-72 to qemu-kvm 0.12.4
>> (debian lenny backports).  We are now unable to start any VMs that use
>> -smp option with values > 1 (-smp 1 works, -smp 2 doesn't).
>> Everything else is the same (nothing in the guests was changed,
>> nothing else on the host was changed).
>>
> KVM-72 is too old for recent qemu-kvm userspace. Unfortunately our
> backwards compatibility does not go so far.

KVM modules and what-not were upgraded at the same time, obviously
(kvm, kvm-source, qemu-kvm packages).  :)  Taken from lenny-backports
repo.

Adding -no-kvm-irqchip to the command-line allows the VMs to start
with -smp >1.  Just don't know why that's needed, or what that does,
as it's not listed in any changelogs that I can see, nor in the
kvm/qemu man pages, nor anywhere on the linux-kvm.org website, nor
anywhere on the qemu website, nor anywhere else I can find.  In fact,
the only mention of it is in the "kvm --help" output, and that 1 line
of output is pretty much useless for understanding what it does.

After 2 hours of creative googling, mailing list archives browsing,
and searching through various bug trackers, I still have no idea why
that's needed or what it does or what the implications are for its
use.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx