Re: Tracing KVM with LTTng

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:42 PM, Julien Desfossez <ju@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On [2] you can see a closer look of the state of the kvm threads (blue
> means syscall, red means running in VM mode (vm_entry), dark yellow
> means waiting for CPU).

This is a great visualization.  It shows the state of the entire
system in a clear way and makes the wait times easier to understand.

> In the next days, I will send my patches to the official LTTng git.
> My next step is to synchronise the traces collected from the host with
> the traces collected from the guest (by finding an efficient way to
> share the TSC_OFFSET) to have some infos of what is happening during the
> time the VM has the control.

I'd like to try this patch out, will be checking the LTTng mailing list.

> The reason I post these screenshots now is that I will be at Linuxcon
> next week, and I would really appreciate some feedbacks and ideas for
> future improvements from the KVM community.
> So if you are interested, contact me directly and if you are there we'll
> try to meet.

I'd like to find out more about what you're doing.  Unfortunately I
will not be at LinuxCon/KVM Forum this year.

Prerna Saxena and I have been working on static trace events for QEMU
userspace.  Here is the commit to add LTTng Userspace Tracer support:

http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu/stefanha.git/commitdiff/5560c202f4eeeec5cc37692d35e53f784c74d65c

Using the tracing branch above you can place static trace events in
QEMU userspace and collect the trace with LTTng.  See the trace-events
file for sample trace event definitions.

Stefan