Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone seeing huge slowdown launching qemu with Linux 2.6.35?

 On 08/03/2010 10:05 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

That's true, but extending fwcfg doesn't fit into the overall
picture well.  We have well defined interfaces for pushing data into
a guest: virtio-serial (dma upload), virtio-blk (adds demand
paging), and virtio-p9fs (no image needed).  Adapting libguestfs to
use one of these is a better move than adding yet another interface.

+1. I already proposed that. Nobody objects against fast fast
communication channel between guest and host. In fact we have one:
virtio-serial. Of course it is much easier to hack dma semantic into
fw_cfg interface than add virtio-serial to seabios, but it doesn't make
it right. Does virtio-serial has to be exposed as PCI to a guest or can
we expose it as ISA device too in case someone want to use -kernel option
but do not see additional PCI device in a guest?

No need for virtio-serial in firmware. We can have a small initrd slurp a larger filesystem via virtio-serial, or mount a virtio-blk or virtio-p9fs, or boot the whole thing from a virtio-blk image and avoid -kernel -initrd completely.

signature is too narrow to contain.