Re: Swap usage with KVM

On 08/02/2010 02:57 PM, Daniel Bareiro wrote:
Hi, Rik.

On Sunday, 11 July 2010 17:49:43 -0400,
Rik van Riel wrote:

I have an installation with Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.4 amd64 with
qemu-kvm 0.12.3 compiled with the source code obtained from the
official site of KVM and Linux 2.6.32.12 compiled from source code
of kernel.org. All this is installed on an HP Proliant DL380 G6 with
two Xeon E5530 quadcore processors and 16 GiB of RAM which has two
VMs with the following configuration of memory:

Hostname       |      RAM
===============+===============
Aps4           |    7 GiB
Leela          |    7 GiB
===============+===============
TOTAL          |   14 GiB

Initially the host was created with a swap partition of 1 GiB, but
today we found that the use of swap quickly began to grow
increasingly.  Therefore, as a contingency, we had to hot-add a
logical volume of 1 GB of swap on the VMHost. Is 'normal' this use
of memory?

That depends on what is going on in the host.

Did you notice any performance issues in the guest when you started
using swap?

After the logical volume of 1 GB that I added when I found this problem
(being the operating system with 2 GB), I added other 3 GB to have a
little more margin, but today I got again a new alert of Nagios:

Swap usage     WARNING    [...]    SWAP WARNING - 30% free   (1490 MB out of 5052 MB)

I don't see performance issue in the VMs.

Marcelo Tosatti recommended me to apply the EPT patch
(6316e1c8c6af6ccb55ff8564231710660608f46c). Should it be safe for use in
production? Are there plans that this patch is applied on some version
of Linux stable?

Yes, that patch is safe and definitely recommended.

--
All rights reversed