Re: Why does virtmanager (VNC) console get stuck in caps lock mode?

On 07/30/2010 03:39 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
As an emacs user, I remap caps-lock to CTRL key in normal usage.
But often in KVM console VNC window, it gets stuck in caps lock mode.

Try passing no-lock-key-sync to the -vnc option. If you're using virt-manger, that may be challenging without hacking libvirt.

But you could also try using qemu directly and then using gvncviewer.

This appears to be a new mis-feature, since it never used to get stuck
before (not sure whether is kernel, virt-manager or QEMU).

Any clues?

There's a few possibilities. The first is that you don't have the guest's keymap setup to treat caps lock as ctrl. I imagine you do though.

The second, more likely, possibility is that our caps lock detection heuristics are being defeated because you're remapping the key.

The above option disables our heuristics. If that "fixes" the problem then we probably need to add some bits to further handle it. The real source of the problem is that we can receive key down events but if focus moves we won't receive the key up. That can create subtle problems where you're pressing control and release it after switching windows. The effect is the guest sees control as being stuck.

We do our best to work out this situation but it's not necessarily perfect.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori