about memory

i am new in virtualization and  kvm. i get some questions ,hope u will help me .
when qemu  allocates memory for a vm , function get_free_slot is
called to get  free slot for a vm from global variable slots. so i
understand that all vms share slots , on the other words, each vm get
a slot_info in slot_info array.
but in kernel , there is a statement: struct kvm_memory_slot *s =
&kvm->memslots[i]  parameter i represents the slot value  from
get_free_slot.  so what puzzlee me is that slots in qemu is global
variable and  in kernel each kvm struct has a slots array  and only
use the memslots determined by the slot value from qemu. so what is
the relationship? or what does kvm_memory_slot really stands for?
thanks.