Re: KVM vs. PCI-E Function Level Reset (FLR) ...

[[Sorry for any duplicates -- something is going wrong with my local mail relay
and my outbound mail is being rejected.  I'm heading over to our IT guy's office
to have a "Serious Talk" with him ... -- Casey]]

| From: Sheng Yang <sheng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| Date: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 06:31 pm
|
| On Thursday 15 July 2010 02:01:29 Casey Leedom wrote:
| > | From: Sheng Yang <sheng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| > | Date: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 05:53 pm
|
| (Please use reply to all next time.)

  Sorry, old habit.

| > | On Wednesday 14 July 2010 04:41:01 Casey Leedom wrote:
|
| >   Hhrrmmm, this seems like a semantic error.  "Resetting" the Vm should
| > be morally equivalent to resetting a real physical machine.  And when
| > a real physical machine is reset, all of its buses, etc. get reset which
| > propagates to Device Resets on those buses ...  I think that Assigned
| > Devices should be reset for reboots and power off/on ...
|
| Yes, it should be done when reset. And power on/off should be there,
| because that's means the create and destroy the guest.

  Okay, cool.  I've looked through the kernel code and I don't see any likely
places for putting such a VM Reboot/Reset feature in so I assume that this is
also controlled by QEmu and it would need to be responsible for either doing a
KVM_DEASSIGN_PCI_DEVICE/KVM_ASSIGN_PCI_DEVICE ioctl() pair for each assigned
device or issuing a new KVM_RESET_ASSIGNED_PCI_DEVICE ioctl() for Reboot/Reset

| > Assigned Devices.  For PCI-E SR-IOV Virtual Functions which are assigned
| > to a VM, they need to be reset at reboot/power off/power on and the
| > Configuration Space emulation needs to support the Guest OS/VM Device
| > Driver issuing an FLR ...
|
| You can add the FLR support for your device if you need to call it in the
| guest. But I don't quite understand why you need to call it in the guest.
| KVM should has already done that, and it's not necessary for native
| device.

  This was mostly for device driver load/unload support.  I.e. being able to
issue a Function Level Reset to a PCI Device Function (regardless of it being an
SR-IOV Virtual Function or not) is a nice way to zap the device back to a
canonical state.

| So you want to issue FLR(rather than probing the feature) when
| driver->probe() called? Current seems KVM is the only user of
| pci_reset_function(), so I think we can update it after your driver posted
| to the mailing list. Also I am not sure why you want to reset function
| when probing. KVM should cover them all I think.

  Remember, the "probe" argument in pci_dev_reset() has nothing to do with
whether it's being called from a device driver's probe() routine.  The "probe"
argument in pci_dev_reset() is used for the two-stage effort in
pci_reset_function() which does:

 1. "try to see if it's possible to reset this function by itself"
    Call pci_dev_reset(dev, probe=1);

 2. "go ahead and do the function reset"
    Call pci_dev_reset(dev, probe=0);

  And yes, I'd noticed that KVM was the only current subscriber of the kernel
interface but, as I noted above, it is useful for resetting the device function
into a known state -- or at least it was useful till the deadlock got
introduced in 2.6.31 ... :-(  And again, the use of this actually has no
dependency on KVM: I would want to be able to call pci_reset_function() in any
device driver's probe() routine ...  It just happens that I ran into this need
(and unfortunate 2.6.31 deadlock) with our PCI-E SR-IOV Virtual Function Driver.

  Oh, and the driver (cxgb4vf) has been posted to net-next.  I'm guessing that
it should get merged into 2.6.35 ... or maybe 2.6.36 ... I'm really not sure of
how the merge schedule between net-next and the core kernel runs ...

Casey