Re: ESXi, KVM or Xen?

Peter Chacko wrote:
> Did you consider VirtualBox ? Of course VmWare is the market leader
> NOW, but if you plan to invest on future open source  platforms, You
> should choose KVM(which is now Linux native) or XEN.( Its unlikely to
> be killed). KVM still lag behind in terms of enterprise-class features
> , but count on it for future investment. So, i think you should just
> start off with Xen or virtualBox, with a migration plan to KVM in
> future.

VBox has surely its strengths on non-Linux hosts and hosts without
virtualization acceleration. But I would carefully evaluate its
performance under relevant load:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.devel/2796

I recently learned from someone doing Xen consulting that it's still
troublesome to get it running on non-certified hardware. This may have
impact on the hardware choice.

For hosting Linux-on-Linux, I would also consider containers, e.g. lxc
or OpenVZ. Performance-wise, that's generally the most efficient approach.

Jan