Re: qemu-kvm 0.12.4 hanging forever

On Thursday 01 July 2010 16:02:26 Brian Jackson wrote:
> > Here are some more interesting details.  The 64 bit host, kernel, and kvm
> > kernel module are all vanilla CentOS 5.4.  If I use the kmod-
> > kvm-83-105.el5_4.9 version of the kernel module, it works fine.  Yum
> > update to anything past that and the hang occurs 100% of the
> > time.  Update all the way to the very latest CentOS 5.5 packages, and I
> > still get the hang. Downgrade just the kvm kernel modules and it starts
> > working again.
>
> That's pretty well known. Use a newer kernel with a newer qemu-kvm, or use
> the  packages that come with CentOS.

I looked though mail lists and searched with google for quite a while and
didn't anything that sounded the same.  Is there a bug reference or some other
search term I could use to find others discussing this issue?

> > I'm sure I could use the qemu-kvm that ships from CentOS with the
> > corresponding kernel module, however that lacks certain essential
> > features, including support for scsi disk drive emulation.
>
> There's a reason Redhat disables scsi support in their kvm... it's not
> really  suggested to use it.

What specific reason is that?  The kvm.spec %changelog references RedHat
bugzilla 512837, however I am not authorized to access it.

scsi is a hard requirement for us, even if we have to stay on the old kernel
module.

Any additional insight would be much appreciated.

thanks,

-Zach