[ kvm-Bugs-1884444 ] Virtual network (set up via TCP socket) dog slow, but vde ok

Bugs item #1884444, was opened at 2008-02-01 15:30
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by alain_knaff
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=1884444&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: qemu
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I've got two kvm virtual machines that I connect to gether via a virtual network:

1. A samba server (Kubuntu 7.10), whose network I set up with -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:1B:FC:1C:00:01 -net socket,vlan=1,listen=127.0.0.1:1234

2. A Windows XP client, whose network I set up with -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:1B:FC:1C:01:11 -net socket,vlan=1,connect=127.0.0.1:1234

The Windows XP VM has joined the Samba VM's domain.
When a domain user logs in, it takes litterally _minutes_ until its profile data is copied to the client, and same thing to copy it back to the server on logout.

Setting up both with VDE, it's *much* quicker (only a couple of seconds, rather than minutes for login/logout).

I also tried udp mcast networking, but couldn't get both VMs to communicate with each other. A tcpdump on the host shows traffic on port 1234. However, a tcpdump on the Kubuntu guest shows no traffic (not even arp) when I try to ping it from the windows VM

Date: 2010-06-28 00:13

Message:
Even in kvm 1:84, as shipped with Kubuntu 10.04 (based on QEMU 0.12.3),
this is still an issue (although not quite as bad as it used to be)

Moreover it takes quite a while until the windows VM requests an address
via dhcp

Comment By: Jes Sorensen (jessorensen)
Date: 2010-06-14 08:21

Message:
Hi,

Per Anthony's add, any chance you could let us know if this problem was
resolved?

I am trying to go through the old bugs and if this one is fixed, I'd like
to close it.

Thanks,
Jes

Comment By: Anthony Liguori (aliguori)