Re: Graphical virtualisation management system

  Hi,

We want to move to a multi-tiered, SAN-based virtualisation setup, but
can't find a VM management tool that handles both KVM and Xen (we have
some old Opteron hardware that doesn't support SVM), and does not
require Linux from end-to-end.  For example, we want to run FreeBSD +
ZFS on our storage servers, exporting storage via iSCSI (or NFS).  We
want to run a minimal Debian/Ubuntu install on the VM hosts (just to
boot and run the management agents), with all of the VMs getting their
storage via iSCSI.  With a separate box acting as the management
system.  Preferably with a web-based management GUI, but that's more
of an "nice to have" than a hard requirement.

So far, I've looked at:
   * oVirt which requires Fedora/CentOS/RedHat on everything;

NFS/iSCSI being hosted on non-linux shouldn't be a problem I think, at least the underlying libvirt handles this just fine and I can't see a reason why oVirt shouldn't (don't know oVirt in detail although I've played with it a bit a while ago).

To manage the hosts oVirt wants to have some oVirt bits running on them. Porting them to Debian should be possible. But as the stuff interacts with the distro bootup scripts it is most likely noticable more work than just compile+install.

cheers,
  Gerd