Re: Looking at using KVM for embedded product

Tom Shoes wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>     I am looking at using KVM for an embedded product. I am also new
> to Virtualization so pardon if
> I ask dumb questions. This is my first time posting to this forum.
>
>    The embedded product that need to run KVM has:
>
>          a. Intel processor with VT
>          b. BIOS supports enabling VT
>          c. Linux kernel 2.6.26 (from kernel.org)

Why 2.6.26, specifically if you seem to have no customized bits?
Starting with a pre-historic kernel for a new project is hardly ever a
good choice.

>          d. No VGA adapter
>          e. Serial console
>          f. BusyBox
>
>   Need help to understand if KVM can be installed, configured and run
> with c,d,e and f configuration
> mentioned above?
>
>   Also can I know
>          a.  Is KVM code in Linux kernel 2.6.26 reliable?

That kernel is 2 years old, last version is 1.5 years old, and kvm was
still quite young into mainline at that time. There is a good chance you
may hit some bug that was fixed since then.

>          b.  Will latest KVM code from linux-kvm.org run on Linux kernel 2.6.26?

kvm-kmod builds down to 2.6.24, but it is likely only tested down to
2.6.27. And you will miss quite a few relevant performance optimization
due to limitations of 2.6.26.

Jan