[ kvm-Bugs-1740031 ] Kubuntu 7.04 fails to boot as guest- hangs after kernel boot

Bugs item #1740031, was opened at 2007-06-20 01:12
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jessorensen
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=893831&aid=1740031&group_id=180599

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: v1.0 (example)

Initial Comment:
I'm having a very strange problem booting Kubuntu as the Guest OS on a Kubuntu 7.04 host os.

I have loaded the modules and I start the KVM with this commandline:

sudo /tmp/kvm-28/kvm -m 256  --no-reload-module --no-tap --image=disk-images/test2.img

Of course with the correct modules loaded, directly from /tmp/kvm-28/kernel

The image contains a Kubuntu version, installed with qemu with no hw-acceleration, and it boots fine in qemu. All graphics during the boot sequence has been disabled from the menu.lst in Grub.

My mileage varies: Mostly I get to the point in the hang screenshot. Although not hanging 100%, as I can type on the keyboard, and the characters gets displayed.

When it hangs, it takes 97% to 100% of the CPU on the host system.

And this is where it gets strange: I can sometimes avoid the hang if i type on the keyboard while the kernel boots (before the actual hang). Seems to be very random though.

Info about my system:

Machine:
Dell Inspiron 9400

CPU:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200  @ 2.00GHz

Kernel Version (host and guest)
2.6.20-16-generic (one supplied with Kubuntu)

Kernel Arch:
i386 32 bit (both guest and host)

And no: It doesn't happen, when I use the --no-kvm option.

I have tried it out on the version originally supplied with Kubuntu - but the sames goes for the newest version 28.

Kind regards Morten Lund

I will be happy to supply you with more info, if needed. Just tell me what you need.

Date: 2010-06-11 14:48

Message:
Pulled down a copy and tested.

Ubuntu 7.04 installs and boots fine under recent KVM/QEMU

Closing
Jes

Comment By: Technologov (technologov)