Re: Live migrating L1 VMs with nested L2 VMs on AMD

On Thu, 2024-10-03 at 10:22 -0400, Chinmaya Mahesh wrote:
> Hello,
> I was reading the KVM documentation that mentions live-migrating an L1
> guest with a running L2 guest on AMD systems results in undefined
> behavior: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/virt/kvm/x86/running-nested-guests.html#live-migration-with-nested-kvm.
> However, we noticed that this documentation hasn't been updated in a
> while (last edit of that section was May 6 2020 according to the
> blame), and notably there have been some AMD nested migration
> improvements in June 2020:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=039aeb9deb9291f3b19c375a8bc6fa7f768996cc.
>
> We did some stress testing of live migrating systems with nested VMs
> on AMD and noticed that they seem to be running fine with no crashes
> so far. Do we know if the docs are stale on this? If we have tested
> this and it seems to work fine, are we taking on a lot of risk by live
> migrating VMs with L2 vms running inside of them on AMD? Are there
> specific workloads that are known to result in undefined behavior more
> frequently?
>
> We have tested 2 scenarios: KVM running in KVM, and Hyper-V in KVM,
> both on AMD EPYC CPUs. Both seem to do fine with repeated live
> migrations although we are yet to try this long-term.
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

While nested migration, and nested virtualization as a whole, is not supported by RedHat AFAIK,

I few years ago did an extensive round of testing and bugfixing in the area
of AMD nested virtualization and especially nested migration on my Zen2 machine -
this way my way of studying KVM internals, and having some fun.

So I happy to hear that it works, and yes the documentation must be updated,
I'll send a patch for that soon.

Best regards,
        Maxim Levitsky