Proper Online VM Backup

Hello List,

I have a KVM server running about 40 VMs these are a large variety of OSes ranging from different Linux version, Windows 7s, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD machines.
I looking for a proper way to back these up, I don't expect features like Vmware's Vmotion to move them live to another server however I would like to move them offline to another server and in case the sever explodes all I would have to do is spin up the same VMs with a script.

Sounds easy but none of the solutions what I found so far are perfect. First I was just doing rsync based backup of the .qcows images to the other server, this "mostly" works with Linux and Windows however the BSDs don't like it they go from file system corruptions at boot time (which is still fixable manually) to the point the KVM doesn't even boot.

Shutting down the VMs to do the backup is not an option.

I have tried these 2 methods:

https://libvirt.org/kbase/live_full_disk_backup.html

https://github.com/abbbi/virtnbdbackup?tab=readme-ov-file#complete-restore

Makes absolutely no difference, the same issues come out with the VMs then if I would just rsync them. I got these versions on both servers:

ii  ipxe-qemu                            1.0.0+git-20190125.36a4c85-5.1          all          PXE boot firmware - ROM images for qemu
ii  libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu           9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Virtualization daemon QEMU connection driver
ii  qemu-block-extra                     1:7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u6                    amd64        extra block backend modules for qemu-system and qemu-utils
ii  qemu-system-common                   1:7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u6                    amd64        QEMU full system emulation binaries (common files)
ii  qemu-system-data                     1:7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u6                    all          QEMU full system emulation (data files)
ii  qemu-system-gui                      1:7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u6                    amd64        QEMU full system emulation binaries (user interface and audio support)
ii  qemu-system-x86                      1:7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u6                    amd64        QEMU full system emulation binaries (x86)
ii  qemu-utils                           1:7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u6                    amd64        QEMU utilities
ii  libvirt-clients                      9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Programs for the libvirt library
ii  libvirt-daemon                       9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Virtualization daemon
ii  libvirt-daemon-config-network        9.0.0-4devuan1                          all          Libvirt daemon configuration files (default network)
ii  libvirt-daemon-config-nwfilter       9.0.0-4devuan1                          all          Libvirt daemon configuration files (default network filters)
ii  libvirt-daemon-driver-lxc            9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Virtualization daemon LXC connection driver
ii  libvirt-daemon-driver-qemu           9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Virtualization daemon QEMU connection driver
ii  libvirt-daemon-driver-vbox           9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Virtualization daemon VirtualBox connection driver
ii  libvirt-daemon-driver-xen            9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Virtualization daemon Xen connection driver
ii  libvirt-daemon-system                9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        Libvirt daemon configuration files
ii  libvirt-daemon-system-sysv           9.0.0-4devuan1                          all          Libvirt daemon configuration files (sysv)
ii  libvirt-glib-1.0-0:amd64             4.0.0-2                                 amd64        libvirt GLib and GObject mapping library
ii  libvirt-glib-1.0-data                4.0.0-2                                 all          Common files for libvirt GLib library
ii  libvirt-l10n                         9.0.0-4devuan1                          all          localization for the libvirt library
ii  libvirt0:amd64                       9.0.0-4devuan1                          amd64        library for interfacing with different virtualization systems
ii  python3-libvirt                      9.0.0-1                                 amd64        libvirt Python 3 bindings
ii  virtnbdbackup                        1.9.15-1                                all          Backup utility for libvirt

Any other ideas how to back up running VMs properly?

Thanks