Re: 32-bit qemu + 64-bit kvm be a problem?

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Neo Jia wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I have to keep a 32-bit qmeu user space to work with some legacy
>> library I have but still want to use 64-bit host Linux to explore
>> 64-bit advantage.
>>
>> So I am wondering if I can use a 32-bit qemu + 64-bit kvm-kmod
>> configuration. Will there be any limitation or drawback for this
>> configuration? I already get one that we can't assign guest physical
>> memory more than 2047 MB.
>
> I use 32bit kvm on 64bit kernel since the day one.  Nothing of interest
> since that, everything just works.

Michael,

I just came back to this thread because I am seeing that I can't run
VISTA 64-bit inside 64/32 mode, which will crash with bugcheck 0x5D.
Is this a known issue?

> Recently (this week) I come across a situation when something does not
> work in 64/32 mode.  Namely it is linux aio (see the other thread in
> kvm@ a few days back) - but this is not due to kvm but due to other
> kernel subsystem (in this case aio) which lacks proper compat handlers
> in place.

Could you tell me more about the AIO issue? Will this will slow down
the guest if it does a lot I/O? Will setting up coalescing help?

Thanks,
Neo

--
I would remember that if researchers were not ambitious
probably today we haven't the technology we are using!