Re: [ANNOUNCE] PUCK Agenda - 2024.08.07 - KVM userfault (guest_memfd/HugeTLB postcopy)

On Thu, Aug 1, 2024 at 3:44 PM Sean Christopherson <seanjc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Early warning for next week's PUCK since there's actually a topic this time.
> James is going to lead a discussion on KVM userfault[*](name subject to change).

Thanks for attending, everyone!

We seemed to arrive at the following conclusions:

1. For guest_memfd, stage 2 mapping installation will never go through
GUP / virtual addresses to do the GFN --> PFN translation, including
when it supports non-private memory.
2. Something like KVM Userfault is indeed necessary to handle
post-copy for guest_memfd VMs, especially when guest_memfd supports
non-private memory.
3. We should not hook into the overall GFN --> HVA translation, we
should only be hooking the GFN --> PFN translation steps to figure out
how to create stage 2 mappings. That is, KVM's own accesses to guest
memory should just go through mm/userfaultfd.
4. We don't need the concept of "async userfaults" (making KVM block
when attempting to access userfault memory) in KVM Userfault.

So I need to think more about what exactly the API should look like
for controlling if a page should exit to userspace before KVM is
allowed to map it into stage 2 and if this should apply to all of
guest memory or only guest_memfd.

It sounds like it may most likely be something like a per-VM bitmap
that describes which pages are allowed to be mapped into stage 2,
applying to all memory, not just guest_memfd memory. Even though it is
solving a problem for guest_memfd specifically, it is slightly cleaner
to have it apply to all memory.

If this per-VM bitmap applies to all memory, then we don't need to
wait for guest_memfd to support non-private memory before working on a
full implementation. But if not, perhaps it makes sense to wait.

There will be a 30 minute session at LPC to discuss this topic more. I
hope to see you there!

Here are the slides[2].

Thanks!

PS: I'll be away from August 9 - 25.