[USB Isolation] USB virt drivers access between guests instead of host -> guest?

Hi everyone,

I'm coming over from reading about Qubes OS, which uses the Xen hypervisor. In Qubes, the way that untrusted devices like USBs are handled is that they are pass through to a VM, which then (I presume) allows other guests to access them using virtual drivers.

I'm looking for a theoretical explanation on how this would be possible with KVM. I am not a developer and thus am having difficulty understanding how one would let a guest access virtual drivers connecting to hardware devices like USB and PCIe from another guest.

Any help/practical examples of this would be greatly appreciated. This seems to be a hard topic to find and so far I haven't come across anything like this.

Thanks!