Re: [RFC] TDX module configurability of 0x80000008

On Thu, 2024-04-25 at 23:09 +0800, Xiaoyao Li wrote:
> > The idea is that TDX module could add the capability to configure these bits
> > as
> > well, so that TDs could match normal VMs for cases where there is a desire
> > for
> > the guests MAXPA to be smaller than the hosts. The requirements would be,
> > roughly:
> >    - The VMM specifies the 0x80000008.EAX[23:16] when creating a TD.
> >    - The TDX module does sanity checking.
> >    - The 0x80000008.EAX[23:16] field is used to communicate the max
> > addressable
> >    GPA to  the guest. It will be used by the guest firmware to make sure
> >    resources like PCI bars are mapped into the addressable GPA.
> >    - If the guest attempts to access memory beyond the max addressable GPA,
> > then
> >    the TDX module generates EPT violation to the VMM. For the VMM, this case
> >    means that the guest attempted to access "invalid" (I/O) memory.
> >    - The VMM will be expected to terminate the TD guest. The VMM may send
> >    a notification, but the TDX module doesn't necessarily need to know how.
>
> This is not the same as how it works for normal (non-TDX) VMs.
>
> For normal VMs, when userspace configures a smaller one than what
> hardware EPT/NPT supports, it doesn't cause any issue if guest accesses
> GPA beyond [23:16] but within hardware EPT/NTP capability.
>
> It's more a hint to guest that KVM doesn't enforce the semantics of it.
> However, for TDX case, you are proposing to make it a hard rule.

If we limit ourselves to worrying about valid configurations, accessing a GPA
beyond [23:16] is similar to accessing a GPA with no memslot. Like you say,
[23:16] is a hint, so there is really no change from KVM's perspective. It
behaves like normal based on the [7:0] MAXPA.

What do you think should happen in the case a TD accesses a GPA with no memslot?
KVM/QEMU don't have a lot of options to recover. So are the differences here
just the existing differences between normal VMs and TDX?