Re: Booting/installing WindowsNT

Avi Kivity wrote:
On 05/03/2010 11:24 AM, Andre Przywara wrote:

can you try -cpu kvm64? This should be somewhat in between -cpu host and -cpu qemu64. Also look in dmesg for uncatched rd/wrmsrs. In case you find something there, please try:
# modprobe kvm ignore_msrs=1
(You have to unload the modules first)

It's unlikely NT 4 will touch msrs, it's used to running on very old hardware (pre-msr, even). I expect it's a problem with the bios or vendor/model/blah.
That is probably right, although I could be that it uses some MSRs if it finds the CPUID bit set. But I just wanted to make sure that not the issue.

I made a diff of the CPUID flags between qemu64 and Michael's host, the difference is:
only on qemu64: up hypervisor
up is a Linux pseudo flag for a SMP kernel running on an UP host, the hypervisor bit has been introduced much later than even SP6. I guess that is OK, but note that Linux supposedly recognizes the single VCPU guest with -cpu host as SMP. But I guess that is not an issue for NT4, since it does not know about multi-core CPUs and CPUID based topology detection.

only on host: vme ht mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch lbrv
Most of the features are far younger than NT4, only "vme" sticks out.
This is pretty old flag, but I am not sure if that matters. My documentation reads: VME: virtual-mode enhancements. CR4.VME, CR4.PVI, software interrupt indirection, expansion of the TSS with the software, indirection bitmap, EFLAGS.VIF, EFLAGS.VIP.

Let's just rule that out:

Michael, can you try to use -cpu host,-vme and see if that makes a difference?

Thanks,
Andre.

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany