obtain the timestamp counter of physical/host machine inside the VMs.

Hello Arnabjyoti, Sean, and everyone,

I'm having a similiar but slightly differnt issue about the rdtsc in KVM.

I want to obtain the timestamp counter of physical/host machine inside the VMs.

Acccording to the previous threads, I know I need to disable the offsetting, VM exit, and scaling.
I specify the correspoding parameters in the qemu arguments.
The booting command is listed below:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 10240 -smp 4 -chardev socket,id=SOCKSYZ,server=on,nowait,host=localhost,port=3258 -mon chardev=SOCKSYZ,mode=control -display none -serial stdio -device virtio-rng-pci -enable-kvm -cpu host,migratable=off,tsc=on,rdtscp=on,vmx-tsc-offset=off,vmx-rdtsc-exit=off,tsc-scale=off,tsc-adjust=off,vmx-rdtscp-exit=off -netdev bridge,id=hn40 -device virtio-net,netdev=hn40,mac=e6:c8:ff:09:76:38 -hda XXX -kernel XXX -append "root=/dev/sda console=ttyS0"

But the rdtsc still returns the adjusted tsc.
The vmxcap script shows the TSC settings as below:

  Use TSC offsetting                       no
  RDTSC exiting                            no
  Enable RDTSCP                            no
  TSC scaling                              yes

I would really appreciate it if anyone can tell me whether and how I can get the tsc of physical machine insdie the VM.

Thanks a lot.