Re: [UNTESTED] KVM: do not call kvm_set_irq from irq disabled section

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:11:30PM +0300, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:40:38PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > > What I mean is kvm_notify_acked_irq() will iterate over all ack entries
> > > in rcu read protected section, but instead of calling callback it will
> > > collect them into the array and call them outside rcu read section. At
> > > this point it doesn't matter if entry is unregistered since the copy is
> > > used to actually call the notifier.
> >
> > Here it is, but no, this trick can't be done safely for ack notifiers
> > because they are unregistered at runtime by device assignment.
> >
> > How does the freeing path knows it can proceed to free its entry if
> > there is no reliable way to know if there is a reference to itself?
> > (think "priv" gets freed between rcu_read_unlock and ->irq_acked with
> > the patch below).
> >
> Yeah, I see :(
>
> > I can convert to SRCU if you have no objections.
> >
> AFAIR there was a disadvantage comparing to RCU, but I don't remember what
> it was exactly.

http://www.mentby.com/paul-e-mckenney/kvm-patch-v3-13-kvm-fix-race-in-irqrouting-logic.html

But for KVM IRQ path's it should not matter much since usage of grace
periods is rare (registration/unregistration is very rare compared to
read side), and the IRQ path's are already large and slow, so the added
overhead should not be noticeable.

> What about converting PIC/IOAPIC mutexes into spinlocks?

Works for me, but on large guests the spinning will be noticeable.
I believe.

Avi?