Re: RFC: A KVM-specific alternative to UserfaultFD

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 08:11:09AM -0800, James Houghton wrote:
> This extra ~8 bytes per page overhead is real, and it is the
> theoretical maximum additional overhead that userfaultfd would require
> over a KVM-based demand paging alternative when we are using
> hugepages. Consider the case where we are using THPs and have just
> finished post-copy, and we haven't done any collapsing yet:
>
> For userfaultfd: because we have UFFDIO_COPY'd or UFFDIO_CONTINUE'd at
> 4K (because we demand-fetched at 4K), the userspace page tables are
> entirely shattered. KVM has no choice but to have an entirely
> shattered second-stage page table as well.
>
> For KVM demand paging: the userspace page tables can remain entirely
> populated, so we get PMD mappings here. KVM, though, uses 4K SPTEs
> because we have only just finished post-copy and haven't started
> collapsing yet.
>
> So both systems end up with a shattered second stage page table, but
> userfaultfd has a shattered userspace page table as well (+8 bytes/4K
> if using THP, +another 8 bytes/2M if using HugeTLB-1G, etc.) and that
> is where the extra overhead comes from.
>
> The second mapping of guest memory that we use today (through which we
> install memory), given that we are using hugepages, will use PMDs and
> PUDs, so the overhead is minimal.
>
> Hope that clears things up!

Ah I see, thanks James.  Though, is this a real concern in production use,
considering worst case 0.2% overhead (all THP backed) and only exist during
postcopy, only on destination host?

In all cases, I agree that's still a valid point then, comparing to a
constant 1/32k consumption with a bitmap.

Thanks,

--
Peter Xu