Re: Different behavior with vfio-pci between 6.4.8->6.5.5

 The 2 port card was added during the summer as replacement for the
older Intel card and I probably was lucky with timing as I just fixed
the ID's to modprobe.conf. I checked the dmesg logs and you are
correct about reserving all the interfaces to either one. With 6.4.8
igb gets all the interfaces and with 6.5 onwards vfio-pci wins. So
libvirt with 6.4.8 KVM can reclaim interface from the igb. So maybe I
don't need the modprobe config at all... The base config for libvirt
qemu FW started probably around 2014 when I started using KVM and it
has survived couple of HW and OS upgrades :D. I will try without
modprobe and check that driverctl so I can figure this out.

Thanks for the help,
-Juhani

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 6:19 PM Alex Williamson
<alex.williamson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you launch your VMs with libvirt, which might have automatically
> bound the devices to vfio-pci and now there's something loading the
> vfio-pci module before igb?

Libvirt is running the show. What I forgot to mention is that 2 port
version i recent replacement in 6.4 the era (old card was intel card
but using e1000 driver). I probably was lucky with timing as I just
fixed the ID's to modprobe.conf and everything continued to work. I
checked the dmesg logs and you are correct about reserving all the
interfaces to either driver. With 6.4.8 igb gets all the interfaces
and with 6.5 onwards vfio-pci wins. Libvirt with 6.4.8 KVM can reclaim
interface from the igb. So maybe I don't need the modprobe config at
all. The base config for the libvirt qemu FW config started around
2014 when I started using KVM and it has survived couple of HW and OS
upgrades.

> The driverctl tool might be useful for you to specify a specific
> driver for specific devices.  Otherwise I'm not sure what kernel change
> might have triggered this behavioral change without knowing more about
> how and when the vfio-pci module is loaded relative to the igb module.

I will try without the modprobe and check that driverctl so I can
figure this out.

> Thanks,
>
> Alex

Thanks for the help. I half suspected that I messed up something :D.
-Juhani
--
Juhani Rautiainen                                   jrauti@xxxxxx