Re: [Autotest] Autotest: Unattended_install testcase always fail with rhel3.9-32 guest

On 04/16/2010 09:36 AM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 08:03 -0600, David S. Ahern wrote:

>>> I've hit this problem before, it is what I believe to be an anaconda
>>> bug on that particular RHEL version. I tried a *lot* to work around
>>> the problem, spent a lot of time with it, but in the end I just gave
>>> up.
>>>
>>> The problem happens because it's simply not possible to bring the
>>> network up at post install stage so the install can communicate with
>>> the host to respond that its installation finished. If anyone can help
>>> to work around the problem that'd be great...
>>
>> What commands are you running to configure the network and what command
>> is stalling? I've done unattended installs with RHEL3.8, 32-bit guests
>> with networking enabled.
>
> To add some background to the discussion, RHEL3.9 64 bit works just
> fine. The kickstart file that installs pretty much all RH based systems
> tries to configure the network by calling 'dhclient eth0'. In order to
> work, some networking kernel modules need to be loaded.
>
> While debugging the problem, I discovered that it wasn't possible to
> load some of the iptables kernel modules (I don't remember exactly which
> ones). So I tried many strategies, loading the modules specifying paths,
> etc... nothing worked. It seems like those essential networking modules
> in the install kernel for 32 bit are missing due to some build problem.

Ok, so it's firewall related. RHEL3 uses a BOOT kernel and only a subset
of the kernel modules are included in the modules.cgz. It should contain
all of the drivers for the NICs, so networking alone should be fine. Why
are the iptables rules needed to tell the host that the install has
completed?

David