Re: Setting nx bit in virtual CPU

Avi Kivity wrote:
On 04/07/2010 11:38 PM, Richard Simpson wrote:
On 07/04/10 13:23, Avi Kivity wrote:
Run as root, please.  And check first that you have a file named
/dev/cpu/0/msr.
Doh!

gordon Code # ./check-nx
nx: enabled
gordon Code #

OK, seems to be enabled just fine.  Any other ideas?  I am beginning to
get that horrible feeling that there isn't a real problem and it is just
me being dumb!

I really hope so, because I am out of ideas... :)

Can you verify check-nx returns disabled on the guest?
Does /proc/cpuinfo show nx in the guest?

Can you try to boot the attached multiboot "kernel", which just outputs a brief CPUID dump?
$ qemu-kvm -kernel cpuid_mb -vnc :0
(Unfortunately I have no serial console support in there yet, so you either have to write the values down or screenshot it).
In the 4th line from the button it should print NX (after SYSCALL).

Regards,
Andre.

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany