Re: Setting nx bit in virtual CPU

>> gordon Code # ./check-nx
>> nx: enabled
>> gordon Code #
>>
>> OK, seems to be enabled just fine.  Any other ideas?  I am beginning to
>> get that horrible feeling that there isn't a real problem and it is just
>> me being dumb!
>>
> I really hope so, because I am out of ideas... :)
>
> Can you verify check-nx returns disabled on the guest?
> Does /proc/cpuinfo show nx in the guest?

OK, time for a summary:

Host:  /proc/cpuinfo shows 'nx' and check-nx shows 'enabled'

Guest: /proc/cpuinfo doesn't show nx and check-nx shows 'disabled'

Guest (with -no-kvm option): /proc/cpuinfo shows 'nx', but check-nx
still shows 'disabled'

Below I have included all the listings which I think might be useful,
but if you would like to see anything else then please ask.

HOST:

/proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 79
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl pni cx16 lahf_lm svm extapic
cr8_legacy
bogomips        : 2000.06
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

GUEST with command line - kvm -hda /dev/mapper/vols-andrew -kernel
./bzImage -append root=/dev/hda2 -cpu host -runas xx -net nic -net user
-m 256 -k en-gb -vnc :1 -monitor stdio

/proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 79
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 10000.330
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall mmxext fxsr_opt lm
rep_good pni cx16 lahf_lm
bogomips        : 2000.06
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Results of paxtest

PaXtest - Copyright(c) 2003,2004 by Peter Busser <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Released under the GNU Public Licence version 2 or later

Mode: kiddie
Linux andrew 2.6.28-hardened-r9 #4 Mon Jan 18 22:39:31 GMT 2010 x86_64
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Executable anonymous mapping             : Vulnerable
Executable bss                           : Vulnerable
Executable data                          : Vulnerable
Executable heap                          : Vulnerable
Executable stack                         : Vulnerable
Executable anonymous mapping (mprotect)  : Vulnerable
Executable bss (mprotect)                : Vulnerable
Executable data (mprotect)               : Vulnerable
Executable heap (mprotect)               : Vulnerable
Executable stack (mprotect)              : Vulnerable
Executable shared library bss (mprotect) : Vulnerable
Executable shared library data (mprotect): Vulnerable
Writable text segments                   : Killed
Anonymous mapping randomisation test     : 33 bits (guessed)
Heap randomisation test (ET_EXEC)        : 13 bits (guessed)
Heap randomisation test (ET_DYN)         : 40 bits (guessed)
Main executable randomisation (ET_EXEC)  : No randomisation
Main executable randomisation (ET_DYN)   : 12 bits (guessed)
Shared library randomisation test        : 33 bits (guessed)
Stack randomisation test (SEGMEXEC)      : 40 bits (guessed)
Stack randomisation test (PAGEEXEC)      : 40 bits (guessed)
Return to function (strcpy)              : paxtest: bad luck, try
different compiler options.
Return to function (memcpy)              : *** buffer overflow detected
***: rettofunc2 - terminated
rettofunc2: buffer overflow attack in function <unknown> - terminated
Report to http://bugs.gentoo.org/
Killed
Return to function (strcpy, RANDEXEC)    : paxtest: bad luck, try
different compiler options.
Return to function (memcpy, RANDEXEC)    : *** buffer overflow detected
***: rettofunc2x - terminated
rettofunc2x: buffer overflow attack in function <unknown> - terminated
Report to http://bugs.gentoo.org/
Killed
Executable shared library bss            : Killed
Executable shared library data           : Killed

GUEST with command line - kvm -hda /dev/mapper/vols-andrew -kernel
./bzImage -append root=/dev/hda2 -no-kvm -runas xx -net nic -net user -m
256 -k en-gb -vnc :1 -monitor stdio

/proc/cpuinfo

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 2
model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.12.3
stepping        : 3
cpu MHz         : 1998.067
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 4
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm pni cx16 lahf_lm
svm abm sse4a
bogomips        : 3996.13
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

Results of paxtest

PaXtest - Copyright(c) 2003,2004 by Peter Busser <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Released under the GNU Public Licence version 2 or later

Mode: kiddie
Linux andrew 2.6.28-hardened-r9 #4 Mon Jan 18 22:39:31 GMT 2010 x86_64
QEMU Virtual CPU version 0.12.3 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Executable anonymous mapping             : Killed
Executable bss                           : Killed
Executable data                          : Killed
Executable heap                          : Killed
Executable stack                         : Killed
Executable anonymous mapping (mprotect)  : Killed
Executable bss (mprotect)                : Killed
Executable data (mprotect)               : Killed
Executable heap (mprotect)               : Killed
Executable stack (mprotect)              : Killed
Executable shared library bss (mprotect) : Killed
Executable shared library data (mprotect): Killed