Re: KVM's sloppiness wrt IA32_SPEC_CTRL and IA32_PRED_CMD

On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 10:52:44AM -0700, Jim Mattson wrote:
>> And is it fair to good citizens that won't set reserved bits but will
>> suffer performance drop caused by the fix?
>
>Is it fair to other tenants of the host to have their data exfiltrated
>by a bad citizen, because KVM didn't control access to the MSR?

To be clear, I agree to intercept IA32_SPEC_CTRL MSR if allowing guests
to clear some bits puts host or other tenents at risk.

>> >As your colleague pointed out earlier, IA32_SPEC_CTRL.STIBP[bit 1] is
>> >such a bit. If the host has this bit set and you allow the guest to
>> >clear it, then you have compromised host security.

>> If guest can compromise host security, I definitly agree to intercept
>> IA32_SPEC_CTRL MSR.
>
>I believe that when the decision was made to pass through this MSR for
>write, the assumption was that the host wouldn't ever use it (hence
>the host value would be zero). That assumption has not stood the test
>of time.

Could you elaborate on the security risk of guests' clearing
IA32_SPEC_CTRL.STIBP[bit 1] (or any other bit)? +Pawan